Director: Dr. G. Shaber Ali
Associate Director : Dr. Babugouda S. Patil
Assistant Director: Dr. Nagesh S. Colvalkar
Consumer Clinic was established in the year 2007 with a mission to educate, advocate protection of consumers, and associate with stake holders and the society to strengthen consumer justice delivery system. It offers an excellent learning experience to the students aspiring to be sensible lawyers. This clinic is a live client clinic where the students under guidance of faculty represent the consumers in the various consumer redressal forums. Students of the Clinic are trained in various aspects of consumer protection under the Consumer Protection Act, 1986. More importantly, they were trained in drafting the complaint, affidavit and other necessary documents to be filed before the Consumer Forum under the guidance of experts in the field of consumer protection. The faculty in charge monitors the complaint and provides advice, guidance and support to the students.
Clinic provides the student with practical exposure in representation of clients. In addition the Clinic also benefits the community by rendering free legal aid for solving the consumer’s complaints and achieving access to consumer justice to the needy public. The Clinic also offers mediation and conciliation between the disputant parties and as a last resort it will resort to litigation for resolving consumer disputes. Apart from dispute settlement the Clinic also create public awareness by organizing consumer literacy programmes. The Clinic also undertakes consumer research assignments to understand the law and its implementation in our society. The Clinic works with Department of Consumer Affairs and other Consumer Redressal Agencies in the State of Goa.
Complaints: The clinic receives complaints directly from consumers or through the Department of Civil Supplies, GOACAN, Consumer Redressal Agencies of Goa, as well as through various Free Legal Aid Cells that are functioning in the State of Goa.
- Students interview the consumer under the supervision of the faculty and they prepare the details of the complaint and thereafter clarify the details with the complainant.
- Members of Consumer Clinic assist the consumer in negotiating with the opposite party to resolve the complaint. If it fails the clinic issues a notice and forwards the same to the opposite party.
- Further the Members of the Clinic first lodge the complaint before the Consumer Conciliation Committee and also represent before the Committee during the meetings.
- If these techniques are unsuccessful, the Members of the Consumer Clinic lodge the complaint before the appropriate Consumer Forum in order to ensure appropriate relief to the consumer
- The faculty supervises, coordinates and cooperates with the Consumer Clinic at every stage of the proceeding before the forum
Chairperson, Consumer Conciliation Committee,
Department of Civil Supplies and Consumer affairs
1st Lift, 2nd Floor, Junta House, Panaji -403001
The Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission, (State Commission),
Junta House, 1st Lift, 4th Floor, Panaji Goa.
Ph. No. 2222466.
Consumer Disputes Redressal Forum North Goa,
Housing Board Colony, Above Maharastra Bank,
Porvorim, Bardez Goa
Consumer Disputes Redressal Forum South Goa,
Blessing Pioneer Commercial Complex,
Opposite District Court, Margao Goa
Ph. No. 2713073.