Dr. Shaber Ali is the LL.M and Research Co-ordinator of V M Salgaocar College of Law. Director, IQAC, Director, Consumer Clinic, Director, Trial Advocacy.
He is incessantly involved in providing support to the Legal Aid Cells set up in the State of Goa under the banner of this college from the date of inception till today. He has been instrumental in starting the Consumer Clinic in the College which addresses consumer complaints of the needy under his guidance. He has also initiated and encouraged final year students (3 years and 5 years) by regularly conducting Mock Trail in order to make them understand and appreciate the procedure and various provisions of law involved in criminal trial by personal participation. He was recognized as trainer to impart training under the Right to Information Act, 2005 in the State of Goa.
He initiated research in the field of consumer, when the law for protection of the consumers was at an elementary stage. During 1990 he did research on Efficacy of CP Act, 1986, with special reference to Public Utility Services in Bangalore at NLSIU, Bangalore as a part of LL.M Course. He also visited CERC, Ahmadabad and stayed there for one month to study the consumer movement and its related aspects. As a part of M.L., at SK University, AP, he researched on Negligence of Doctors under the CP Act, 1986.
He did his Ph.D., on consumers and was awarded the Ph.D., Degree on 19th of May 2011 by the Goa University on the topic “Functioning of Consumer Dispute Redressal Agencies in the State of Goa, with special references to Services : A Socio Legal Study”. He has also been recognized as Ph.D. Guide in Law by the Goa University.
He has held various positions for various law related activities at this College/Goa University like In charge Principal, Coordinator for LL.B (Hons.) and LL.M, (IPR) Courses, Chairman Moot Court Society, Chairman Legal Aid Society, In-charge of Legal Aid Cells, Member of BOS, Member of Court – Chairman Board of Examinations, Director Central Assessment Programme – Goa University, Member of Editorial Board Lexpressions, In charge of Consumer Clinic, Consumer Law Club, Criminal Law Club, Trial Advocacy, member of various Committees of the college, and various positions in examination related work.
He is invited as guest faculty and resource person for various PG Courses, UGC sponsored Refresher Courses, Seminars, Workshops, Symposium, Certificate Courses, etc.
He has organized various Seminars, Certificate Courses, Workshops, Training Programmes, Debates, Inter University law related programmes etc., – on behalf of UGC, HRD Ministry GOI, CPR Environmental Institute, CII and DIPP (GOI), GMGC, Pune and NIIPM, Asian School of Cyber Law, Department of Science and Technology, Goa, American Centre, Mumbai, National Law School of India University, Bangalore.
He has actively participated in and presented research papers at various National and State level Seminars, Workshops, Training Programmes, Symposiums, Panel Discussions and Conferences.
He completed his LL.M, from the prestigious and the First Law University in India – National Law School of India University, Bangalore. He belongs to the first batch of LL.M, from Law School. Starting his teaching career as a part time lecturer in the year 1992 at Sri Vijayanagar College of Law, Anantapur, A.P. he subsequently became full time faculty in the year 1994 to 1997. He joined this esteemed college in the year 1997. Recognized as PG Faculty to teach LL.M, by the Goa University in 2000. He is presently Associate Professor at this Institution.
He was also actively involved in UNDP Project as a researcher on ‘Access to Justice’ and has visited selected Law Schools at Madhya Pradesh, during May 2010.
Consumer Protection, Constitutional Law, Environmental Aspects, Intellectual Property, Criminal Law and Criminology.
Criminal Law (Indian Penal Code, Criminology, Penology and Victimology)
Intellectual Property law
Legal and Constitutional History
Sale of Goods Act
Law of Taxation
His contribution to research is immense. It is apparent from the fact that he was assigned to write a book on ‘Service Laws’ (Constitutional Law – IV), for LL.M, students, by the Open University, Mysore, 2013.
Further, he is also author of four chapters in a book titled ‘Access to Justice’ on behalf of NLU, New Delhi, for UGC E-Pathsala, MHRD Project, New Delhi, 2014.
He is author of more than 25 Research Articles on various contemporary legal issues in India, in various International and National Law Journals. The following are important among others;
- ‘E-governance : A Step towards Good Governance in Administration’, In Law Magazine, 2, National Law School of India University, Bangalore, 2015, at 19
- ‘Decriminalization of Homosexuals – Time to change’ Chotanagpur Law Journal, Vol. 7, Ranchi, Jharkhand, June 2015, at 266
- ‘Law and Policy to deface Manual Scavenging” Legal News and Views, (New Delhi), Vol.28, No.2, February 2014 at. 8
- “Need to amend IPC to thwart Honour Killing” Bangalore Law Journal, 4 BLJ, 2013 (4) at.493
- “Is Education a ‘Service’ under the Umbrella of Consumer Protection Act, 1986?’, Indian Bar Review, 38 (4) 2011, at 59
- Article on “Necessity as a Defense under Penal Codes : A Comparative Analysis” in Civil Law Studies An Indian Perspective, Edited by Anthony D’Souza and Carmo D’Souza, Cambridge Scholars Publishing, UK, 2009 at 136
- Published an article on “Right to Information Act, 2005 and its Ramification ”, Legal News and Views, New Delhi, February, 2009 at 6
- ‘The Concept of Talaq Under Muslim Law : Modern Judicial Solicitudes’, Journal of Islamic Law Review, 2, at 169, Serial Publications, New Delhi, Jan–Dec 2006
- “Environmental Jurisprudence – Indian Scenario” All India Reporter, (Nagpur) March 2004 p.88
- “Negligence of Doctors – Whom should the Victim Approach”, All India Reporter, (Nagpur) October 1992 p.148