Among the stated duties of an individual, the duty towards the society ranks high. The opportunity to serve the society is what we get through the NSS. In India, the idea of involving students in the task of national service dates back to the time of Mahatma Gandhi, the father of the nation. In his opinion, the first duty of the student should be to prepare themselves for final dedication in the service of those who provide the sinews of the nation with goods and services, which are indispensable to the civilization. With the same objective in mind, V.M. Salgaocar College of law initiated the NSS unit in the year 2002. Every year hundreds of law students voluntarily and enthusiastically participate and become members of the unit.
The activities of the NSS Unit are not restricted to its traditional notion of community service through cleanliness drives, etc, but are combined with the idea of legal services through the conducting of surveys, helping the needy to obtain benefits from the Government Social Welfare Schemes, etc. The National Service Scheme has been functioning with the motto ‘NOT ME BUT YOU’. Bearing the same axiom, various NSS activities are carried out throughout the year. In addition to regular activities like rallies, tree plantations, blood donations, beach cleaning and plastic eradication, major activities like Para legal Services, support to orphanages and promoting social welfare schemes are also carried out. These diverse NSS activities help the students in developing a focus towards social welfare and their sense of responsibility and solidarity towards the society enhances.
- Law students should understand the society they work in and realise their role in developing the society;
- Developing a civic sense which facilitates the grasping of root concerns of the nation;
- Assessing the problems and using legal knowledge in finding practical solutions to individual and community problems;
- Acquiring leadership qualities and democratic attitude;
- Becoming susceptible and empowered to handle any kind of risk, and
- Promoting Fundamental Duties as enshrined in the Indian Constitution.